History

C. 1182
Under the sponsorship of Margrave Heinrich von Ronsberg, a Benedictine abbey develops from an anchorite community in the Eiberg Forest. The convent finds its first home on the Irsee castle hill.

1190 – 1195
The church and the abbey are newly constructed at the foot of the hill, at the current location.

1209
Innocent III places the abbey under papal protection.

13th century
Päpstliche, königliche und bischöfliche Urkunden bestätigen die Rechte und Besitzungen des Klosters.

13th – 16th century
After the Ronsberger line dies off, the bailiwick is exercised by the lords of Kemnat, of Ramschwag and of Benzenau consecutively. From acquisitions and gifts, the abbey develops a dominion along with the villages of Irsee, Eggenthal, Baisweil, Lauchdorf, Schlingen, Ketterschwang, Rieden, Pforzen, Leinau and Mauerstetten and the dwellers therein.

1525
1525 Rebel farmers devastate the abbey.

until 1535
Reconstruction of the church and the abbey in the pre-Baroque complex.

1551
1551 The Imperial Abbey of Kempten acquires the Irsee bailiwick.

 

 

1632 – 1648
The abbey and its subjects suffer heavily under the plunderings, pillages and extortions of the 30 Years’ War.

1662
Irsee Monastery acquires the rights to the bailiwick from the Imperial Abbey of Kempten.

1685
IIrsee merges with the abbeys of Füssen, Ottobeuren, Fultenbach, Donauwörth, Elchingen, Deggingen and Neresheim to form the Lower Swabian Benedictine Congregation of the Holy Spirit.

1692
Irsee receives jurisdiction over life and death in its dominion and now exercises full sovereignty over the land.

1699 – 1704
Reconstruction of the abbey church in accordance with the plans of Franz Beer.

1707 – 1730
The baroque abbey complex is reconstructed under Abbot Willibald Grindel.

C. 1750
Irsee Monastery is considered an important location for science and music cultivation. The Mathematical Museum of Irsee enjoys high esteem.

1802/03
Irsee Monastery is dissolved as part of the Secularisation.

1804
Royal Bavarian Bursary

1849
Opening of the first Swabian district asylum.

1876
The Irsee institute becomes a department of the new District, Curative and Care Institute in Kaufbeuren

1993 – 1945
The inhumane racial ideology of National Socialism and the resultant actions aimed at “destroying unworthy life” also affect Irsee. More than 2,000 patients (adults and children) from Kaufbeuren/Irsee are deported to euthanasia institutions, die after the prescription of a fat-free hunger diet or are killed directly by means of injections and overdoses of medicines.

1949
The director of the institution and several nursing staff are convicted.

1972
The Irsee department for the mentally ill is dissolved. The last patients leave the building.

1974
The Swabia district assembly decides on the restoration of the abbey complex and the new purpose as an educational centre in a return to the tradition of Benedictine intellectuality.

1981
The Irsee Monastery Swabian Conference and Educational Centre opens its doors.

Top